Home Forums Anxiety Scripture Reading/Writing Plan – Psalm 119 Day 5

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    ToWalkWorthyToWalkWorthy

Psalm 119:33-40 (NKJV)

Teach me, O Lord, the way of Your statutes,
      And I shall keep it to the end.
      Give me understanding, and I shall keep Your law;
      Indeed, I shall observe it with my whole heart.
      Make me walk in the path of Your commandments,
      For I delight in it.
      Incline my heart to Your testimonies,
      And not to covetousness.
      Turn away my eyes from looking at worthless things,
      And revive me in Your way.
      Establish Your word to Your servant,
      Who is devoted to fearing You.
      Turn away my reproach which I dread,
      For Your judgments are good.
      Behold, I long for Your precepts;
      Revive me in Your righteousness.

Devotion. Understanding. Loyalty. Delight. Desire. Purity. Revival.
      What a beautiful picture of faithfulness these verses describe! And what a depth of emotion and experience of life in God! Reading through this, I was reminded of just how limiting a life given over to anxiety truly waS. As the heavy cloud of anxiety began to tinge every relationship, every opportunity, every choice with fear and doubt, it just felt easier to pull in on myself, to close off that potential for pain and struggle by simply making my life smaller. I couldn’t be betrayed if I never let anyone in. I couldn’t be rejected if I never reached out in the first place. I couldn’t be hurt by a danger I simply refused to face.

The truth was that the more I gave in to my anxiety, the more power I gave it in my life and decisions, the more I was truly hurting. And the more I was stepping away from the life I actually wanted to live, the kind of life described here in these verses. The first step to addressing my anxiety (and moving toward this life of blessing) was to open my Bible and let God speak into the darkness, to allow His Word to bring life to those parts of my heart that were dying away. For some, this might be all that is needed to bring great and immediate relief. For others, it might just be the first step along a path toward health – one that may involve counseling, medication, support groups, or other various measures that have shown benefit in dealing effectively with anxiety. But regardless of the path ultimately taken, the best place to start will always be with God.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.